The word 'spirit' comes from the Latin word 'spiritus', meaning 'breath'. May the Holy Spirit breath new life into you, through the reading of God's word.


Tuesday, August 5, 2014

'Passport Through Darkness' by Kimberly L. Smith

Kimberly L. Smith and her husband Milton were a `normal' American couple, but something seemed to be missing. When they discovered that God was calling them to live a life on the edge, a life most Christians would sadly call `radical', they had to make a choice: continue in a life of comfort, where they could have as much or as little of God as they liked, or surrender it all and follow Him at all costs, even if they're next step is off the edge of a cliff.

This is how the book begins. But it doesn't even begin to describe the journey two ordinary people embarked on when they stepped out in faith with God. Told by Kimberly, we follow them through the beginnings of missionary work, that leads them into eye-opening discoveries of some of the horrific evils at work in this world. At each turn, they can choose to go back to the comfort of life as they knew it, or continue walking step by step with God. They take up the fight against human trafficking, famine, disease, genocide, slavery, and so much more. Because of Milton's health, Kimberly steps out into the front lines of the battle field alone, and the war almost kills her.

From a literary standpoint, this was an extremely well written book, full of beautiful language and a storyline that flows off of the lips of the author like honey. Yet, this was the hardest book to finish that I have ever read. I `know' of the suffering of people in other countries. But Kimberly takes us on a journey that holds nothing back in describing unimaginable horrors, and like a child peeking through their fingers, I wanted to cover my eyes and stop looking as I read. I wept through the entire book, yet it was impossible to stop. If those people had to endure such unimaginable pain and suffering, how could I not even listen to the cries of their voices?

One of the most appalling parts of the book was not the suffering of the people described. It was the reaction of the people here at home who Kimberly and Milton shared their story with. I believe apathy to be one of the greatest evils in our country. We all feel bad for a second, then pick up our iPhones and check to see what new drama our friends have on Facebook. I'm still so emotionally raw from this book, I probably should not be reviewing it yet. Yet this is a book I feel every Christian should read. It is a wake up call. Where are you, warriors of Christ who are willing to storm the gates of hell?? This morning, clean drinking water from the tap never tasted so good and the roof over my head never felt so secure. I looked at all my children, and cried again as the thought of even one of them begging me for food or being tortured before my eyes, slammed into me.

This book is not complete darkness. Because with God, even the darkness is like light (Ps 139). Throughout the book, pearls of beauty and light shine to illuminate both the trials of Kimberly and the people around her. Kimberly herself is almost swallowed by the darkness, yet through it, God shines through and restores her soul to a place of healing and beauty.

This book deserves more than 5 stars. I would (and will) recommend it to everyone. The only warning is that it is very, very graphic.


No comments:

Post a Comment